Fire Safety

 

Fire safety is unlikely to be your top priority at university, but fires on campus are far too common. Last year alone, over 500 fires were recorded across student accommodation in Great Britain and one of those was right here on Park Campus.

Few students recognise the dangers they expose themselves to in their student accommodation. In fact 43% of students admit to drying clothes over a heater or radiator, 24% have said they often burn candles or incense and 43% are doing all of this while also storing alcohol in their student room. A massive two thirds of students (66%) have cooked after midnight and one in two (50%) have done so under the influence of alcohol.

So take some time out and follow simple safety advice such as:

  • Avoid using candles in small enclosed spaces
  • Consider a take-away or cold snack if you’re planning a big night out
  • Turn off electrical items when not in use
  • Know the fire safety procedures in your halls or rented accommodation