Getting Paid

All staff employed by the University of Northampton Students' Union are paid monthly by BACS, or electronic transfer, to the bank account provided to the HR Department during your induction. 

Permanent members of staff are paid in arrears on the last Thursday of every month, unless otherwise specified due to public holidays, and members of our Student Staff Team will receive a payslip on thr 5th of every month for the month previous and payment into their nominated account by the 8th. 

Pay is directly related to the hours worked and recorded using the hand and facial recognition scanners in our venues and corrections will be made where appropriate. 

You will receive a payslip by email every month detailing the amount you have been paid and any deducations for tax, student loan repayments etc. If you do not receive this email please contact the Finance Department by emailing 

You will similarly receive your P60 Year End Statement by email each year by the end of May. 

If you believe you have been paid in error, either over or underpaid, you should first contact your Line Manager who will provide further guidance. 


Pay Scales

The Students' Union values the loyalty of our staff and recognises that each year they further develop and contribute to their role in the Union. For those staff not on fixed or zero-hour contracts staff will receive an additional increment and progress up their pay scale. Alongside the Personal Development Review process, staff may also be eligible for discretionary increments related to their performance. 

You can find the University of Northampton Students' Union's payscales below. 


Self-Employed Suppliers/Contractors

In addition to our career and student staff teams, the Students' Union contracts a number of self-employed persons to undertake additional activity. These include our Sports Coaches and Fitness Instructors. 

Self-employed suppliers and contractors will be paid on receipt of a VAT invoice to the Finance Department or, if not VAT registered, invoice and provision of their UTR number (unique taxpayer refererence). 

For persons contracted by Student Societies or Sports Clubs, the Students' Union must also have a valid purchase order raised by the student group before payment can be processed. If working with a student group it is advisable to ensure this paperwork is also being completed. 

On receipt of all required paperwork, payment will be made to these by the 8th of every month for the month previous, as with our Student Staff.